My First Liebster Award

Thank you Renu and a Rat (Meera)!

THE LIEBSTER AWARD

The Liebster Award is used to highlight smaller, lesser known blogs, blogs that have less than 200 followers. Liebster (meaning kindest, dearest, beloved, cute, endearing in German) is an award that you accept with an intention of paying it forward.

I am extremely fortunate and grateful that I was awarded the Liebster by The Domestic Goddess-Next Door herself, Renu Sethi.

Renu is a prolific writer who writes about love, life and everything in between in her blog Loves me; loves me not. Her nominations for this award can be found here.

EDIT : I just received another nomination (Yay!) from a Rat who puts down her musings at A Rat's Nibble. Her short stories and poetry burst with characters, emotions and ideas that make you pause for thought. Her nominations for this award can be found here.

This is an extremely special award for me, since this is the first award of any kind that my blog has received. A peer-to-peer recognition is especially encouraging, since it means fellow bloggers and writers acknowledge your work. Once again, thank you Renu and Meera.

While accepting the award you have to:

  • Post 11 things about yourself
  • Answer 11 questions set by the nominator
  • Choose 11 deserving bloggers meeting the criteria
  • Set 11 questions for them.
  • Inform the nominee by commenting on one of their posts.

You are not obligated to accept the award to send it forward. This is just a way to get a word out about new blogs that your followers may not know.

11 THINGS ABOUT MYSELF




  • I am a proud alumna of St. Stephen's College, Delhi and IIT Roorkee.
  • I am a firm believer in God, but I am not at all religious, even though I celebrate all festivals with equal enthusiasm (because there's always good food!)
  • I sing very well (and apparently, I'm not too modest!)
  • I am not a very good cook, but I am a neat freak. So the house is usually spotless, and our takeout budget is bigger than our investments.
  • As the daughter of an Air Force Officer, I have lived in over 10 cities ranging from Chabua (Assam) to Pune, from Kasauli (Himachal) to Mysore. I have studied in 5 schools, 2 colleges and started a new life in a new place every two-three years. 
  • In continuation of my eclectic upbringing, I am a Tam Brahm married to a Bihari, and we live in West Bengal. We strive to epitomize national integration and unity. We mostly succeed at it, except when I refuse to sing Bhojpuri songs and he refuses to accept that curd rice is a valid dish.
  • I love reading fiction. My favourite authors are Agatha Christie, P.G. Wodehouse, Alistair McLean, Enid Blyton and J.K. Rowling. I think I've read everything any of them have ever written, but they are still my go-to choice for a rainy afternoon or a lazy Sunday read.
  • I have read the Twilight series (all 4 books) and the 50 Shades of Grey books (2 of them). I am not proud of this fact, but they held a morbid attraction, a self-loathing fascination. My eyes practically bled while reading them, but I could not stop. (At least I admit reading them. I know people who've borrowed the books from me and declared they've never touched the stuff. Yeah, right.)
  • I am a night person. That is when I'm at my best and sharpest. Early mornings are best spent sleeping.
  • I enjoy watching rom-coms, even the really bad ones like Due Date.
  • I believe that Father's Day, Mother's Day, Sister or Brother's Day, Third Maternal Aunt's Day, Fourth Cousin Twice Removed's Day etc. are all occasions created by greeting card companies and as such do not deserve to be acknowledged. It is hard enough to keep track of birthdays and anniversaries without having to worry about all these other dates.


11 QUESTIONS FROM RENU (AND A FEW MORE FROM 'a RAT')




  • If I gave you a million dollars, how would you spend it? Half of it will go towards building my dream house, the other half towards building my dream school for kids.
  • What do u like most about blogging? It lets me be whoever I feel like being at that moment.
  • If you were deserted on an isolated island and you could take a thing and a person along, what and who would it be? My husband and a laptop with a solar battery charger and a net dongle that works.
  • How do u think, the culprits of Delhi gang rape case should be punished? With a very long, very painful life that would make them wish for death.
  • What would be the first and the last line of your biography? I am/was the best me that anyone could ever be.
  • 5 things that you carry almost everyday to your workplace? Since my workplace right now is my home, I carry only one thing to every room that I have to work in - Myself.
  • One advice you would like to give to your fellow bloggers? Write for yourself. Always.
  • One person you look up to? My younger sister Pree.
  • One city/country you really want to visit? Japan
  • One song that describes you best? When it comes to my loved ones, Everything I do by Bryan Adams.
  • Honest opinion about my blog (Renu's question)? You capture the laughter and the tears, the built and the broken, the meeting  of hearts and the breaking of hearts with words that are sincere and touching. Keep it up!
  • What scares you the most? Being abandoned
  • What is the best word to describe you? Friendly

11 OF MY FAVOURITE BLOGGERS AND DESERVING AWARDEES



  • Debajyoti Ghosh @ Some Facts, Some Nonsense :  One of the best humour blogs I've read in a long time. He's already famous, but I can't help acknowledging his talent :)
  • Bhavana Nissima @  Tilling the Earthwoman : A passionate advocate of social responsibility and a prolific writer. Her posts will force you to reassess all that you thought you knew about our country and its issues.
  • Vishal Rathod @ Travel India with Vishal Rathod : A travelogue written with a warmth and personal touch that makes reading this blog a delight.
  • Subhabrata Dasgupta @ Subh Dasgupta's Blog : He started the Voices for Damini initiative on his blog, a call to share words of solidarity, support and strength on gender inequality in the wake of the Delhi gang-rape case. His personal blog is a great read as well.
  • Amit - The Frivolous Analyzer @ The Shitt Analysis : An author in his own right, short stories are his forte
  • Ganga Bharani @ Scribbled by GB : GB is already pretty well known in blogging circles for her sharp wit and her unusual take on everything under the sun.
  • TTT @ Tangy Tomato Twist : I like her short stories, which can make you laugh and cry in turns.
  • Chips from a life @ Asteria's Canvass : Her BAT entry "and then there were none" is enough to show her prowess as a writer and a creator of human characters.
  • Maliny Mohan @ Chasing Passions : Although she already has a dedicated audience, I am compelled to call attention to her brilliant short stories.
  • Rayla Noel @ Lyrix & Life : Thought-provoking and evocative poetry, lyrical in their composition
  • Ritesh Agarwal @ Some Bedtime Stories : Some enjoyable 55-fiction stories to be read here

I would like to make a few special mentions here. These are multiple-Liebster Award winners, and amazing writers who I envy and admire in equal amounts for the same reason - they are insanely talented.

Meenakshi Malhotra @ Woman 'n' Beyond
Panchali Sengupta @ panchalibolchi
Deepak Kripal @ The Original Poetry


11 QUESTIONS FROM ME TO MY FAVOURITE BLOGGERS



  • What else do you love doing, besides blogging (and sleeping/eating etc.)?
  • Who is your favourite person in the world (apart from yourself)?
  • What is your favourite genre of writing?
  • Describe yourself in 5 words. (Just like this question did)
  • Which movie can you see any number of times (because you want to, not because you're forced to like "Indra the Tiger" that is on every channel,  every day at any given hour)?
  • What do you do for a living (I'm just curious. You are free to lie and say "social uplifter" or something if you're a politician)?
  • If you had to choose between money and love, what would you pick?
  • What has been your favourite vacation till date?
  • If you could be anyone/anything in the world, for one day, who/what would you choose to be?
  • A piece of advice that you would like to give your fellow bloggers - 
  • Who is your favourite Khan among the following - Fardeen, Zayed, Malaika Arora or Kareena Kapoor (I ran out of questions at this point)?

Since you have been generous enough with your time, patience and attention to read this far, THANK YOU!




I know this is one long acceptance speech. If this had been the Oscars, I would have been cued out after the first para itself  :)

I hope you will continue to visit my blog and share your thoughts with me. I assure you, not all my posts are this long, or this much about myself.

Cheers!



27 comments:

  1. Hi Meenakshi!
    Congratulations for this award, your writing assures that there going to be many more flooding blogscape. I must admit here that this is the finest Liebster post I have read so far (I liked the way you used pictures in this post).
    I am elated by my name finding a mention here. Thank you so much! I hope you continue liking my writings and giving honest feedback about them.

    I congratulate all the recipients of this coveted award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Meenakshi! Your words of appreciation and encouragement help me keep writing :)

      Delete
  2. Hi. Thank you so much for granting me a Leibster Award. Who doesn't like trophies? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep writing some great flash fiction and the appreciation will keep flowing :)

      Delete
  3. hey mixi (if i may call you that) thank you so much....this is indeed my second leibster award in a day so its extra special... :) im also preparing a loonnnnngggg acceptance speech...:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya chips :D!

      Congratulations on multiple nominations.. waiting for your acceptance speech :)

      Delete
  4. its a request to remove the captcha, its a botheration at times...if you wish to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did in fact remove captcha for a few days but found that my blog was starting to get flooded with automated comments.. that's why I had to bring back captcha... I'll try comment moderation for a few days instead and see how that works... sorry for the inconvenience!

      Delete
  5. Hi MIXI ,

    Congratulations on getting two at a time. Your posts and comments motivate to write better. Nice to know many things about you through this award.

    A question " I am a firm believer in God, but I am not at all religious. " Can you elaborate on this ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey vishal!

      I know you have multiple nominations as well :)

      What I mean by that is, I believe in God's existence and I acknowledge God's presence all around us, but I do not believe in any particular religion. Rituals, religious ceremonies, pooja-paath and idol worship don't hold any meaning for me. However, I am tolerant of other people's beliefs so if someone is super-religious, then I won't criticize them or judge them based on their beliefs. They are free to believe what they want, just as I am.

      Delete
  6. congrats !!!! wow nice to know so much about you ! and thank you very much ! I haven't stopped grinning since I can to know about the award !!!!! Thanks !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TTT- Congrats to you too :) I've been reading your blog, and it seemed like it deserved recognition! I made it a point to nominate those people whose blogs I read on a regular basis, and not just popular blogs or blogs of my friends. So rest assured that you earned it :)

      Looking forward to your liebster post :)

      Delete
  7. of course, i love reading long posts especially the ones which get me a backlink.

    honored, delighted to receive this award. no one ever said so many nice things about me :((. but i am not famous :((

    i am a night person too and there are days when i don't even get to see that stupid sun and even i love rom-coms.

    so, you are an educated person, eh? and you still read my blog :D.

    unfortunately, i don't write for myself :(. i write for comments, pageviews and that makes me happy. so, i guess, i can say i write for myself :D.

    honestly speaking, these awards annoy me unless they come from people who genuinely read my blog. and hence, this one put a big smile on my face :). thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJ - Naturally, my only aim in nominating you was so that you'd link back to me in your acceptance post, why else do you think I'd give you an award on top of the pageviews and comments you are already getting? :P

      Make sure the link-back is in the largest font, bold, underlined with a "You HAVE to visit this blog" leader before it :D

      Congratulations!

      Delete
  8. I was trying to find out who Mixi was..somehow I couldnt reach your blog. Now thanks to the award I am able to navigate (ahem, I am technologically challenged). Thanks for the sweet award. I treasure it not just because it is an award but because you did read my pieces with heart. That makes my writing worthwhile--else what is the point? I have to now find out more about you:)
    Congrats to all the winners--I see some old faves and some new names. Good to find about you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bhavana.. sorry you had trouble finding me :D

      Actually, I started following your blog when I read your posts on Voices for Damini. I too had contributed a few words to the page (my full name is Meenakshi Ganesh btw). And yes, I do read your pieces regularly even if I don't comment on them with the same regularity.

      I hope you will accept the award and give us the opportunity to know a bit more about you!

      cheers! :)

      Delete
  9. Japan ka plan kar. Mujhe bhi jana hai. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Meenakshi.. Many many heartiest congratulations to you my friend. Whatever I have had the pleasure to read on your blog, I have thoroughly loved it. This is just the beginning of many more awards to come.
    Also, please accept my token of gratitude, for I am overwhelmingly touched by your kind gesture. It is an absolute pleasure to find a special mention in your post. I am indebted to you for that my friend.

    Last, but not the least.. HAPPY VALENTINE's DAY.. :)

    and CONGRATULATIONS........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Deepak. Means a lot coming from a writer of your calibre.

      Happy V-Day to you too my friend!

      Delete
  11. A little late to acknowledge the award on your blog space , though i had replied to your comment on my blog and had indeed checked this page then . My heartfelt apologies

    Having said that i feel much more confident :P . Congratulations on this special milestone mixi ! You are an exceptional writer to say the least ! happened to read your poem on the kashmiri band last day and wow it was too elegant . You deserve every bit of the appreciations showered on you and i am definitely sure there are more honours to come your way . Keep writing girl :) And to have accepted the award from you feels indeed an honour :) Thankyou ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your appreciation Maliny :) And you too deserve all the accolades you get :)

      Cheers!

      Delete
  12. Hey thanks a lot Mixi for the liebster ... I am extremely thrilled ... I am a lot busy now a days so found you msg today ... I will definitely put a reply as soon as I am out of the current tiring situation :) thanks again..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Amit! Congratulations and I look forward to your Liebster post :) Cheers!

      Delete
  13. read my acceptance speech here :) http://www.malinymohan.com/2013/02/liebster-ceremony.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...