Beautiful Ends : 55-Fiction


For mothers

“You look beautiful”

“Stop it, Ma. I look like a freak. I miss my long hair.”

“My best memory is the soft touch of your hair against my face, the first time I held you. But I cherish this even more.”

“What? My bald head?”

“The brave, beautiful head of my cancer-fighting daughter, who won!”


***

For daughters

Lata held her long, thick hair in her hands. She fondly combed it, unravelled the knots, braided it and put flowers in it.

Next morning, she went to the barbershop and sold her hair. Then bought medicines for her ailing mother.

As her mother fondled her cropped head, she smiled. Hair grows back. Mothers don’t.


***

For sisters

“Do you remember how you used to comb my hair after Ma died?” asked Leena, with tears in her eyes.  

Meena stared vacantly at the ceiling with comatose eyes.

Leena gently washed and dried Meena’s hair, brushing it to a shine. 

She felt a tug on her hand. Meena smiled at her, awake at last.

***

For friends

On the last day of school, Amita and Sheetal were heartbroken.

“I’m going to miss you so much”, they both cried, hugging each other.

Twenty years later, Amita found a photo of Sheetal braiding her hair.

“I wonder if she remembers me?”

Across the country, Sheetal held the same photo in her hands, and smiled.


Images courtesy Google. Copyright belongs to respective owners.






This post is part of the Beautiful Ends to Your Beautiful Braids! Contest on Indiblogger.in, in collaboration with Dove Split Ends Rescue System.


Vote for it here




You might also like my other entry : The Softest Touch

20 comments:

  1. Okay, this was lovely... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a change, I tried to steer clear of the macabre and try my hand at happy 55ers.. trust me it was a toughie!

      Delete
  2. These are really cool, Mixi! And, I'm glad to know about the help for split ends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cracked me up with the last bit Fireblossom :D I'm still laughing! Thanks for the smiles :)

      Delete
  3. Herat warming stories Mixi :) Loved it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maliny! Congratulations on yet another well-deserved BATOM gold

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful, heartfelt collection for women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading beyond my poetry Susie :)

      Delete
  5. Each flash fiction story is an amazingly full and fabulous tale. You are quite the master of this genre. Such talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. I appreciate you reading beyond my Toad links :D I'm glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  6. These are lovely and heart felt,,,I could identify with some,,,all are special,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ellecee!

      Delete
  7. However did i miss this the first time round. Amazing as usual. Reminded me of yet another hair story - by O.Henry, if I am not mistaken - about a couple - the girl with lustrous hair for which she loves an ivory comb and the boy with a golden watch missing a golden strap. On their wedding anniversary, the girl sells her hair to buy the strap and the boy sells the watch to buy the comb. Each one of these was as moving as that one was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O'Henry's 'The Gift of the Magi' did indeed serve as the inspiration for the second one! And I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you on this post for such a long time :P

      Delete
  8. i am so sorry Mixi, i didn't see this post :(

    i am going to skip the part of praising your writing and will get straight to the point. why don't you write a humor post (angry expression, couldn't find a suitable smiley for that)? trust me, i am going to be the first person to comment on that post. with a hope that you will write a humor post someday, i am subscribing to your blog now.

    all the best for the contest!!

    and btw, i didn't blindly promote the other post - 'he say, she says.' i did read that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why the apology? I know you were busy giving blogging tips to the rest of us :D

      I think I will attempt writing a humour post some time soon, even though I'll have to elbow out some space, what with you and Suresh sir occupying prime positions in that genre!

      And DJ, I must genuinely thank you for making the effort to read poetry. I'm truly flattered by your attention :)

      Cheers mate!

      Delete
  9. i loved the last story, so true on so many levels....promoted the post...atb..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading this, Chips! And thanks for the vote. Blatant self-promotion aside, I really just wanted to make sure people saw my post on Indiblogger :)

      Cheers!

      Delete
  10. Each of these is incredibly moving and beautiful. You share a wonderful perspective on life. These speak to what is most important in life. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. incredibly moving post, beautifully crafted

    best of luck for the contest :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...